The SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) is a 5 day course.The SMSTS course is designed for construction site managers, site agents, quantity surveyors, construction directors, project directors, and persons responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering a construction workforce. The course will assist managers and potential managers in developing their knowledge, awareness and understanding of legal, moral and social responsibilities in respect of health, safety and welfare.
The SMSTS training course, includes the following elements:
- The Health & Safety at Work Act and other regulations relevant to the management of site safety within the construction industry
- Site set up, CDM (Construction Design Management Regulations), risk assessments and method statements
- Scaffolding, working at height, electricity, excavations, demolitions, and confined spaces
- Accidents and the associated legislative requirements (RIDDOR)
- The need for control measures and adequate communication to maintain a good health and safety culture within the workplace
Site management training is today an essential component of safety on construction sites. The CITB (Construction Industry Training Board) administer courses within the construction sector.